Well, be proud of me people because what I'm showing you is the very first handmade dress of my whole sewing life!!!
It's basically drafted from the same pattern I had already used for the floral jacket; I simply lengthened the bodice pieces and turned it into a shirtwaist dress with A-line skirt (and oh how much I love that floaty skirt!!!)
I decided to use a light, drapey cotton satin, very soft and with a touch of sheer.
I've always been fond of fabrics with floral prints and these pansies were no exception - they're actually my favourite flowers too...:)
I couldn't help putting a ribbon - I must be really obsessed with nipped-in waists!
Well, they're a classic detail of the late 40's look, along with the soft shoulder line and calf-length skirt.
^A couple of the back.
While the front openings are both interfaced, the body of the dress is totally unlined - I'm just wearing a separate underskirt to let it drape nicely without altering the fit.
This project caused me quite a lot of headache: you must know that it once had sleeves - after a crazy struggle to set them in, I found out I didn't like at all the way they looked (eheh yes, I guess a mistake might have occurred...), so after long weeks of indecision I just took them off and trimmed the armholes with a strip of self-fabric bias binding instead.
It's much much better now, I quite like the cap sleeves and they're always good on hot summer days!
Now I've worn it a couple of times and I can really say it was totally worth the effort: it's even more comfortable than I hoped and I'm totally in love with it!!!
I'm already thinking I might knit a matching cardigan to wear over this frock... oh well, we'll see!
Bye for now :)